Friday, October 17, 2008

Parkour

Although many people don't know what it's called, they do know how it looks like. Everywhere in the world, in TV commercials and posters, parkour is present. By defenition, parkour is getting from point A to point B in the fastest and most efficient way possible. It involves jumping from very high places, and from building to building, in cool and fast ways. It involves climbing really high walls. It involves being partially aerodynamic and being fast and rolling. But it involves jumping alot. That's why i vainly thought it was a monkey sport with no meaning. Untill i actually tried it out.
Parkour isn't the easiest sport out there. Nor is it the safest one. But it sure is cool. When you do parkour, you get this feeling of ecstasy and freedom. You feel like you're leaving the world behind you and just focusing on how to land safely on the ground. You can't take being good at parkour for granted. It takes lots of practice. And you can't expect yourself to be safe and sound in the air. Something has to go wrong.
So yesterday, me and my friends went to Al-Hussain park after seeing that there were some ideal places to practice parkour in. We spent alot of time trying to do parkour moves and learning new ones . And surely, lots and lots of things went wrong. My friend Khaled landed on his back after a 2 metre high jump all becuase he got his leg caught in the wall he was jumping off. Ouch. I fell on my knee on a ramp and it still hurts. That hurt. I got several cuts and bruises and my hands became numb and i became sweaty and my clothes became filthy and my bones became heavy and my eyes were hard to open because of the sleepiness and my stomach was killing me because of hunger but my blood was full of adrenaline because of the excitement and fun i was having. Although it was frustrating at times because there were jumps i couldnt do that looked so simple. Adding to that, I barely slept at night.
So what i'm trying to say here is that, although parkour isnt the most popular or safest sport around, it's a hell good and fun sport. There's nothing to lose in learning how to do it. Bruises will fade and cuts will clot and heavy bones will become light and sleepless nights will become nights full of good dreams. Eventually.

No comments: